The Sugar Grove Fire Protection District was chartered in 1942 with 30 plus members, some of whom are pictured here. The first meeting of the Fireman’s Association was April 3, 1946.
The first engine purchased was a 1946 Dodge, (right). The second engine was a 1953 International Harvester, (left). The original station was a block building built to hold four pieces of equipment, with no offices or restrooms.
Today’s members are a combination of full time and paid on call staff who have training at all levels of firefighting and emergency medicine. The department has Paramedic ambulances and many specialized trained personnel, including training in Special Rescue, Hazardous Materials, and Auto Extrication.